MANDATE OF CRA
The Commission on Revenue Allocation (CRA), is an independent Commission with its mandate defined in Article 216 of the Constitution of Kenya 2010.
Article 216 (CoK)
FUNCTIONS OF CRA
The functions of the Commission include:
1. Recommend the basis of equitable sharing of revenue raised by the national government between national and county governments.
2. Recommend the basis of equitable sharing of revenue raised by the national government among county governments.
3. Recommend matters concerning the financing of both the national government and county governments.
4. Recommend matters concerning the financial management of both national and county governments.
5. Define and enhance revenue sources of the national government.
6. Define and enhance revenue sources of county governments.
7. Encourage fiscal responsibility by the national government.
8. Encourage fiscal responsibility by county governments
9. Be consulted and its recommendations considered before parliament passes any Bill appropriating money out of the Equalization Fund.
10. Be consulted on any Bill that includes provisions dealing with sharing of revenue.
11. Be consulted on any Bill that includes provisions dealing with any financial matter concerning county governments.
12. Publish and review the policy that sets out criteria for identifying marginalized areas in the actualization of the equalization fund
13. Participation in meetings of the Commission for the implementation of the Constitution.
14. Be consulted and its’ recommendations considered by Parliament for all laws being enacted relating to devolved government.
No Kenyan Left Behind
To make reliable recommendations on equitable revenue sharing, revenue enhancement and prudent public financial management.
To achieve its mission and vision, the Commission is committed to the following:-