About the Committee
The purpose of the Committee is guided by the Commission understanding that the ability of both national and county governments to perform functions allocated to them by the Fourth Schedule of the Constitution depends on: effective coordination of the roles of the two levels of government based on the principles of distinction, independence, mutuality, corporation, mutual respect, complementarity and subsidiarity; Effective stakeholder participation or democratic involvement of all the relevant actors in the activities at both levels of government through mutual consultation, corporation, collaboration and dialogue; and effective promotion of equitable social development among the peoples of Kenya through deliberate efforts aimed at de-marginalization of social groups, regions and counties that have and continue to suffer different forms of exclusion.
Specifically, the Committee will consider the technical matters of the Commission relating to:
1. Determination and review of a policy in which the Commission sets out the criteria by which to identify the marginalized areas for purposes of the Equalization Fund.
2. Consultations on any Bill that appropriates money out of the Equalisation Fund.
3. Inter-governmental relations between the National and County governments as provided for in the constitution and other subsidiary laws governing the process, state and reality of devolution as a framework for equitable social development and national cohesion.
4. Strategic co-ordination of important stakeholders’ activities with National Government, Parliament, civil society, donor community as well as other non- governmental actors whose work or mandates have a significant bearing and impact on devolution.
5. Equitable sharing of transfers that are designed to re-distribute resources and to promote equalization across counties and de-marginalization of hitherto neglected sections of and social groups/regions in the Kenyan society.
6. Research and policy underpinning criteria for the sharing of revenues from the Equalisation Fund done by the Commission.
7. Provision of general direction and guidance in the operation of the Stakeholder Management & Marginalization Committee.